Monday, June 01, 2009

The Three Basic Elements


This picture, that I took of the great Mayan ruins at Palenque, deep in the heart of the jungles of Chiapas, Mexico, in 1996, combines what I consider the three basic elements of good photography:
1. creative use of Depth of Field (notice that the jungle itself in the background is out of focus, thus pushing the ruins towards the viewer);
2. side lighting
3. the rule of three (you can actually see a diagonal from the bottom right to the top left that cuts the picture into 1/3/and 2/3; plus, the picture has just three elements - the temple at the top left, the stone terraces in the middle, and the jungle in the background.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am start getting the idea of rule of three. I see how the lighting and background out of focus can focus on the main object.

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am start getting the idea of rule of three. I see how the lighting and background out of focus can focus on the main object.

Parvinder Nanua

 

Post a Comment

<< Home