Monday, January 18, 2010

Capturing the Mind's Eye


No matter how good a camera you have, it can’t really capture what you had in your own imagination when you took the picture. Towards that end, in J210 Unit 3 we talk about the digital darkroom and how “enhancing” your pictures can bring them to a new, more vivid and vibrant level.

Above you will see a sequence of three images. The first is the original print from when I took the picture in 1968. The second is the enhanced version, with Photoshop. And the third version is where I let my imagination run with it a bit (I’m a big fan of black and white, when color isn’t really the point).

The picture was taken on a rainy day, when the color was quite muted anyhow. In that kind of weather and with this subject, I was really trying to capture more of a feeling than an image.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home