Friday, December 09, 2005

Changing Your Mind (Part II)

In my last post I mentioned a student whose research project had surprised her, in that she came out in a different spot than where they started. And in an earlier posting I pointed out that the ability to view new facts and change your position or thinking to adjust to these facts is a sign of maturity, not a lack of resolve.

So imagine just how pleased I was yesterday when a young male student of mine (a demographic about which there is much worry now) powerfully made an argument that was in total contradiction to the argument he intended to make at the beginning of his research project. This student, an avid golfer, had intended to defend the position of the Augusta nation in not allowing women to enter their prestigious Masters Golf Tournament. “After all, it’s a private club,” he told me at the beginning of his research process. I’ve mentioned him before in this blog, but now his project is complete, and you can see for yourself the power of his argument by clicking here.

3 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger J. M. Cornett said...

Suddenly my listening to AM radio is helping here...

I did some research on why men are not going to college as often as women after I heard the story break on Rush Limbaugh's program, and although I do not agree with Rush's theory that the colleges in question are degrading men and pinning the blame on them for everything gone wrong in the world, I can see where he got that given some of the requirements that men have in these colleges as opposed to women.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Worth Weller said...

yeah - article ran in Newsweek as a cover feature. I'm a skpetic frankly. Boys just seem not to be catching on that life requires hard work - girls already knew this, that they had a lot to overcome. Boys just seem to have taken their birthright for granted. Just exactly what is it with video games? Is someone making boys waste all their time and money that way? hardly.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger J. M. Cornett said...

Some video games aren't that bad, but this obsession with violence that games like "Grand Theft Auto" and "Manhunt" have started, I am not liking it a bit. Kids, however, are not taking responsibiltiy for their actions, and parents aren't forcing them to.

But that's aside from your point. If it were just colleges that were being accused of this, they might have something in these articles. In contrast, however, a teenager is filing a FEDERAL SUIT claiming that the school systems across this country favor girls over boys. Now I may have gotten some bad grades before, but I deserved them. Maybe instead of filing this suit, the kid could try studying his textbooks more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home